• Date-Sweetened Coconut Milk Ice Cream (Soy-Free)

Posted on April 16, 2011 by in Desserts, Ice Cream

ice-cream1

This is a creamy coconut milk based treat that is sugar-free, yet plenty-sweet. I always have a can or two of coconut milk in the fridge, that way if I need to make a quick ice cream or whipped cream I don’t have to wait for the milk to chill. If you’re making this ice cream with room temperature coconut milk, the ice cream mixture will probably need to chill in the fridge for a couple of hours instead of just one.

4 oz pitted dates (about 1 cup)
    1/2 cup water
    1 14 oz can of full fat coconut milk, cold
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup chopped chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts

1. In a small pot or sauce pan, combine the dates and the water and bring to a boil.
    2. Remove from heat and let the dates soak, covered, for 15 minutes.
    3. Pour the coconut milk into your blender, add the vanilla and the dates along with their water. Blend until smooth.
    4. Transfer the blended mixture into a bowl (with a spout, you’ll thank me later!) using a fine mesh strainer to catch little bits of date that might have been left unblended. Refrigerate for an hour or until cold.
    5. Once cold, use a fine mesh strainer again (I’m really not happy about tiny bits of date in my smooth ice cream) to pour the mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze/churn according to the manufacturer’s directions.
    6. Stir in the vanilla and the chocolate chips and/or nuts before transferring the ice cream to the freezer.

NOTES:

This is plenty sweet for my taste, but if you like a sweeter ice cream you can always add some maple syrup to the finished batch.

I always find gritty bits of date in there, which is why I always add chopped chocolate chips or nuts – they add a good contrast and they make the ice cream purposely chunky.

6 to 8 servings

The time needed to cook this recipe is more than one hour

ice-cream21

Print Friendly

16 Responsesso far.

1. Emily Sweeney says:

Is there anyway to make this ice-cream with soy milk or something? I am allergic to coconut (and carageenan which is in a lot of non-dairy milks and creamers!) :( I’m dying to find a recipe I can make and this looks great…minus the coconut!

2. River says:

You’re allergic to coconut and I can’t have too much soy! Why can’t we all just eat whatever we want? Oy with the food allergies and intolerances! OK, rant over. Maybe you could try the Wheeler del Torro method and use soy milk and arrowroot powder to thicken it?

If you want to try that, then you could follow this recipe up to step #3. Then for step four, instead of transferring the ice cream mixture into a bowl, you would transfer most of it into a saucepan (leave about 1/4 cup of liquid out) and bring it to a boil over medium heat. While the mixture heats up, mix 1.5 tablespoons of arrowroot powder with the liquid that you reserved. When the mixture begins to boil, remove from heat and immediately stir in the arrowroot slurry. At this point your milk should thicken a bit. Now transfer it to a bowl, refrigerate, and move on to step #5. I hope this works out for you! Let me know how it goes if you try it!

PS: You could blend a ripe banana into your 14 oz of milk for a little extra thickness and texture too, before you even start making the ice cream.

• Emily says:

I will try it this way…with almond milk or soy. :) I’d been avoiding soy too only to find out its one of the best things for me and coconut…which I love! is not. Totally agree with you on the food allergies/intolerances thing……argh….case in point, I can’t have bananas either (another love)! Any other suggestions? maybe silken tofu or some other pureered fruit?

• bbinmiami says:

You could try using chia seeds as a thickener, just toss a 1/4 cup in the blender, they will thicken it up nicely as it sets.

3. Silken tofu might actually be perfect for this! Great idea! I’m not used to cooking with silken tofu, so I’m not sure how much you would need. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

4. Marisa says:

I have food allergies too so I know how you feel. I would try almond milk if you can. It’s a little lighter, so you may have to find a way to thicken it, but it might work. Soy milk doesn’t freeze well or work well in ice creams. I’ve tried it before. If you can find a way to work, please let me know! :-) Silken tofu might work, but I’m not sure how to make it work. Sorry about that. I might try using a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in the ice cream (just a little bit) to make it sweeter if you don’t care for the dates. Just a suggestion! Thanks for the recipe!

5. [...] on a recipe from xgfx; requires an ice cream [...]

6. I’ve seen people use avocado. They claim the taste blends in. It does seem like the perfect texture replacement for banana though. Good luck!

7. Kristen says:

Wow, just made this and LOVE it! It tastes just like the ice cream ordered (and marveled at) a few weeks ago at a raw food restaurant (although I guess this recipe isn’t technically raw). Will definitely make it again–thanks for sharing!

8. sarah says:

add artificial sugar to this dessert :D amazing

9. sarah says:

* i meant to say “BRILLIANT, you DONT add artificial sugar to this dessert :D amazing” lol beginning of comment got cut off somehow

10. Grace says:

This is the best ice cream recipe ever! Super simple, and extremely tasty . I’m totally making it again!

11. Thank you so much for all the wonderful feedback! I’m so glad you guys enjoyed this ice cream!

12. Diane says:

this is so delicious! thank you for recipe. I added a little bit of frozen banana and my homemade chocolate pieces … yummy :)

13. Diane says:

Delicious ! thank you … I added a little frozen banana and my homemade chocolate chunks!

14. Mint says:

Looks amazing :)! What do you think the texture of this ice cream is like? Is it icey, grainy, creamy, etc.? Thanks!