• Besan Flatbread

Posted on April 5, 2011 by in Appetizers, Breads

besan flatbread (10)

An addictive and easy flatbread made out of chickpea flour!

If you’d like some visuals for this recipe, simply click on the photo above and it will magically whiz you over to a full color photo tutorial.

2 cups (346g) besan / chickpea flour
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup (41g) olive oil
    1 1/2 cups water
    4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 385 degrees F. Lightly grease the sides of a 9″ springform pan and line the bottom with a parchment circle. For a more rustic bread, you can also use a lined cookie sheet. Silpat mats work great here too. A 9″ springform pan will produce a flatbread that is about 1/2″ thick.

In medium sized bowl, sift together flour, salt and black pepper. Stir in olive oil until clumpy and then thin out batter with water, using a whisk to remove any lumps. Let rest about 10 minutes.

Pour batter into springform pan. Cover evenly with thinly sliced garlic.

Bake in preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.

Let cool briefly and then slice to serve. Eat plain or use for an open face sandwich.

The time needed to cook this recipe is 1/2 to one hour

Print Friendly

16 Responsesso far.

1. I think I’d love this with a curry whilst my parter eats his naan bread Oh, how I miss naan bread:(

2. This sounds awesome – can’t wait to try it!

3. Romneya says:

I love this stuff. It’s really popular in north west Italy where it’s called farinata. It’s great with a sprinkle if rosemary. I wish I could get it here in the UK but I sometimes make my own. It’s not the same as buying a fat slice of it in greaseproof paper and scoffing it in the sunshine though!

4. Mrs. G. says:

Does this brand of besan have a super beany flavor? I remember reading somewhere that toasting the besan before cooking is supposed to remove the beany flavor.

I’ll bet this will be good in a dehydrator also. I will have to try and let you know.

“n_n”
    Mrs. G.

• Hi Mrs. G!

I’d have to go with yes on besan having a super beany flavor, but it actually cooks away nicely as the bread bakes. Raw dough/batter etc. that includes besan is terrible tasting, though! So I think that’s where the beany flavored besan/gram/chickpea flour may get the worst wrap. I personally embrace its flavor once it’s cooked, and honestly I eat this stuff once or twice a day in many many variations!! I think i will try toasting before making my next batch too! I can’t imagine this type of flatbread getting any better, as it’s already my favorite.. but I’d love to see be proved wrong. Yum! Thanks for the tip!

5. Caitlin says:

i just made this over the weekend and i love it! i toast each slice before eating it, because i think it taste the very best when warm.

i know this might sound completely bizarre, but the it reminds me of a soft pretzel! ok, so i haven’t had a soft pretzel for probably 5+ years, so my taste-buds may be misleading me a little..but..soft pretzel=win. i think it also has to do with the consistency..

• It is a little soft-pretzel like, Caitlin! Glad you enjoyed it. :) I used to love soft pretzels as a kid… maybe that’s why I love variations of this stuff so much?

6. [...] also made some delicious chickpea flatbread/socca from xgfx. Some of it was topped with hummus and [...]

7. [...] of these too! Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies – Just sub Ener-G egg replacer for the eggs! Socca (chick pea flour flatbread) from xgfx.org Matcha Green Tea Cake [...]

8. Merle says:

I must have a different type of besan flour; I have Kala Chana Besan. My batter and bread are sort of latte colored, nowhere near the lovely yellow of your bread. It did come out quite dense. That being said, it was good. The flavor is all its own, you really can’t liken it to anything else. I will make this again – maybe try another flour type though. Thanks!

9. Sophia says:

This was my first attempt ever at gluten-free baking. The bottom was a little bit crumbly though, would it help to use a little bit more oil next time? And could I substitute the garbanzo bean flour for another one?

Thanks for this amazing website! :) Great looking recipes, found so many I wanna try already!

10. Ines says:

Just found your site and am SO PSYCHED because I am both gluten-free and vegan. I’m really tired of trying to translate GF recipes into vegan or vegan recipes into GF (doesn’t always work out very well). I have a couple of cookbooks but am always looking for more recipes to try.

I have a question on this recipe, though: doesn’t the very thinly sliced garlic burn if it’s in the oven for that long? Seems like it would. Thanks – will be visiting often.

11. Kristy says:

I couldn’t find chickpea flour. Where does one finds it? Or can I just put chickpeas in the food processor?

12. Gina says:

It didn’t work for me. Are you sure it’s supposed to be 1-1/2 cups of water cause it was too watery? Would like to try again. Am allergic to so much. Haven’t had much luck baking and can’t find any bread that I can eat. Allergic to glutin and rice and potatoe, dairy, many grains.