• Easy Pupusas

Posted on April 16, 2011 by in Legumes, Main Courses

Pupusas are one of my favorite things to eat and cook–they’re basically thick corn tortillas stuffed and grilled.  For a relatively quickish dinner, I skip the fancy variations and just stick with an easy bean and cheeze.  If you’ve never made ‘em before, here’s a pupusa picture tutorial to help you over the learning curve.

Makes about 6 pupusas

For the Filling:

Grate some vegan cheeze that melts, I prefer Follow Your Heart, but Daiya is also great in these.

Then make some beans:

Easy Pintos

These beans are super flexible and so easy to make. Use ‘em for nachos, soft tacos, pupusas, tamales, rice bowls, taquitos (fill some corn tortillas with ‘em, secure with toothpicks and then fry) and quesadillas (smush some between two brown rice tortillas, coat the tortillas lightly with oil, then grill in a little bit of oil on each side, until crispy and brown.

1 1/2 cups of cooked pinto beans or 1 15oz can, rinsed and drained
    1-2 cloves garlic
    salt to taste
    3/4 cup veggie broth
    1/4 cup pickled jalapenos (sliced from a jar or can)
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine everything except the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 5-6 minutes.

Drain lightly (reserve a few tablespoons of the broth)and puree until mostly smooth using an immersion blender or food processor.

Mix in optional olive oil and season to taste with salt.

Next make the Tortilla Dough (Masa):

I tried to make pupusas for a long time and never could get them to form right because I wasn’t using enough water.  It is really important to keep the dough wet.  Terry Romero helped me figure this out in her amazing Viva Vegan book.  I like to use the tiniest bit more water than she recommends, and form them a bit non-traditionally–but it works (check out the pics in the tutorial to see what I mean).

2 cups Masa Harina

1 3/4 cups warm water, plus an extra tablespoon

1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix together the masa harina, water and salt.  Cover and let sit while you grate your vegan cheeze.

Form the Pupupsas!

Print Friendly

11 Responsesso far.

1. Julie M says:

I used Amy’s vegan refried instead and skipped the spices and all. Then followed pupusa recipe. So tasty. Also used shredded moz vegan cheese as well. Yum-o!

2. Emily says:

I made these tonight for dinner…I made them without vegan cheese because I didn’t have any but these were so good! :)

Does the method for making tortillas from masa harina work the same? Meaning you need more water? I’ve never had success with them..maybe that’s why?

• Kittee Berns says:

You could try! Corn tortilla dough is usually quite a bit dryer than pupusa dough, tho. Do you use a tortilla press with parment paper? That works for me every time.

3. michelle says:

i think these are the bee’s knees! it’s smart to try them with already made refried beans when you’re wanting pupusas sooooper fast. but i just want to shout about how AMAZING the easy pintos recipe is. you’d think, these are just pintos, no big. nuh — they are splendid, and especially the next day. WOH.

4. Tried this tonight. How yummy! I used chipotles in the beans and added some daiya and cilantro to the stuffing as well. Topped it off with grilled peppers and onions and guacamole. This will definitely be an easy favorite. Thanks!

5. These were really good! Mine were a bit chubbier and smaller than the ones pictures here, but they were still very very good! Really easy to make and it felt “free” since I had everything in the pantry. Sadly I didn’t have anything to make a topping or a side to it, so I’ll make these again when I actually have some groceries in the house. I’m always happy to have more things to do with my giant bag of masa harina…

6. [...] recipes.xgfx | Blog | Easy Pupusas Apr 16, 2011 … If you've never made 'em before, here's a pupusa picture tutorial to help you over the learning … [...]

7. Nat says:

These look great! Any success with freezing them? I’m assuming it would work okay but just thought I’d ask.

• Kittee Berns says:

hey there,
      i haven’t tried freezing them, but i’m sure it’d work both ways–pre and post grilling, tho i’d probably want to freeze them pre-grilling and them just cook them off to avoid reheating them.
      xo
      kittee

8. Nat says:

I just ate one of these, topped with diced avocado, and it was fantastic. I stuffed mine with canned refried black beans, diced fresh jalapeños and pepperjack daiya. Since I bought this big bag of maseca, I’m going to go ahead and make a bunch more to freeze (freezing before the frying step). Adding fresh chopped cilantro to this batch!

Anyone have any suggestions for something to use other than the packaged vegan cheeses? I was thinking of making some kind of a cornstarch-cashew cheese sauce, but wanted to follow the directions properly on my first go, and also wasn’t sure about using something so liquidy.

Thank you for this recipe! These are much easier than I expected them to be and add something interesting and new to my relatively restricted diet.stl8